Considering a new roof installation but not sure where to begin? We’re here to help! We’ve answered five of the top new roof questions that homeowners ask. We hope these answers aid in your journey to a new roof!
Top 5 New Roof Questions
1. How do I know I need a new roof?
Roof replacement is a necessary part of maintaining a safe, comfortable home. After 20+ years of use, you may begin to notice issues with your roof, including:
- Water stains and wet spots on your ceiling or walls.
- Water leaks or a moldy smell in your attic.
- Curling, missing, or broken shingles
- Missing granules on your shingles.
- Damaged flashing, eaves, or gutters.
Instead of allowing these issues to persist, schedule an inspection to assess your roof. A professional roofing contractor can recommend the best next steps for roof repair or replacement.
2. How do I choose the best roofing contractor for my roof replacement?
Once you decide it’s time for a new roof, your next big decision is finding the right roofing contractor to complete the job. It’s important to be aware that there are roofing companies that want to scam you or sell poor workmanship. Before officially booking a service, consider these checkpoints:
- Ask family and neighbors who they used for their roof replacement and how they felt about the service.
- Do your research on potential companies. Find customer reviews or testimonials and check that they are insured and certified by the state.
- Avoid out-of-town ‘storm-chasers.’ It’s always best to work with local companies (ones that have a local address and phone number).
- Work with companies that provide reliable warranties on their work.
Doing your due diligence on the roofing company you hire for your new roof will ensure you get the long-lasting, reliable roof you need.
3. What are my options for a new roof?
When it comes to new roofing, your options are virtually endless. Major shingle manufacturers like CertainTeed offer dozens of roofing products, including the multiple designs, values, and colors below.
There are also options for specialty shingles, including algae-resistant and impact-resistant varieties. Algae-resistant shingles discourage algae growth (algae causes black roof stains), preventing algae from breaking down the surface of your shingles. Impact-resistant shingles are more durable, meaning hail and wind will cause less damage to your roof.
4. How long does it take to install a new roof?
Most roof replacements can be completed in one day. However, large or complex roofing projects may take 1-3 days. When working with a reliable roofing company, a full roof replacement should include the removal of the old shingles and underlayment, installing the new underlayment and shingles, and a thorough clean-up of the surrounding area.
5. How long will my new roof last?
The average lifespan of a new roof is 20-30 years. You can extend the life of your roof by investing in quality shingles and scheduling annual roof maintenance. If your area experiences high winds, rain, or frequent storms, it is especially important to stay on top of regular inspections and maintenance to get the longest lifespan out of your roof.
More Questions? Contact Perimeter Roofing!
Do you have more questions about new roofs or any other roof-related issues? We would love to help! Perimeter Roofing is a local roofing company that serves Athens, GA, with top-rated roof repair, replacement, and maintenance. With decades of industry experience, we can confidently address any questions or issues you have with roofing. Give us a call or schedule a free roof inspection with one of our friendly roofing contractors.